How to become a Monk/Devotee
TO BECOME A MONK/SWAMI OF RAMAKRISHNA MATH
One aspiring to be a formal member of the Ramakrishna Order of Monks:-
1) must be under 30 years of age
2) have at least a degree
3) be reasonably healthy and pass a physical exam.
4) must renounce his family and other things like job etc.,
5) Absolute celibacy, burning renunciation, obedience to seniors and readiness to practice all the 4 Yogas as depicted by Swami Vivekananda either singly or totally according to the circumstances he is placed in, are required.
6) Must undergo a training period of 3 years as pre-probationer, 2 years of training as probationer at the Training Centre of Belur Math, the Head Quarters of Ramakrishna Order. He will become a Brahmachari with a new name and the prefix ‘Chaitanya”.
7) After 4 more years of disciplined life ie., (3+2+4=9) after completing 9 years he will get the vows of a Monk/Sannayasi . He will get a new name with the prefix “Swami”
8) Those who are desirous of leading this glorious life may contact any of the Ramakrishna Centers . For the Address of Ramakrishna Centers click the link.
TO BECOME A DEVOTEE OF RAMAKRISHNA MATH
One wanting to become a Devotee of the Ramakrishna Math :–
A) General Devotee
1) must have devotion for the spiritual ideal ( can belong to any religion, language, nationality etc)
2) must go through the life of Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda, the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna
3) regularly visit the Ramakrishna Centre near to your area of residence and keep contact with the monks of the centre and take part in the activities.
4) must have liking for service ideal if he wants to serve poor and needy through the service activities of the centre
B) Initiated Devotee
1) must have devotion for Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekannanda ( can belong to any religion, language, nationality etc)
2) must go through the life of Sri Ramakrishna, Sri Sarada Devi, Swami Vivekananda, the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, Karma yoga, Raja yoga, Jnana Yoga and Bhakti Yoga of Swami Vivekananda
3) accept all other religions as a path to God realization and all gods and goddesses as true
4) must have desire to perform spiritual practices like Japa and Meditation etc.,
5) could approach any monk or Monk in charge of the centre and get the details for initiation. Usually the initiation or Mantra Diksha or Guru Upadesam is given by a few selected very senior monks in the order like Rev. President Maharaj, Rev. Vice-president Maharaj etc. Get the details of initiation and express your willingness and the Monk in charge will help in arranging you to get spiritual initiation in the Sri Ramakrishna Mould of Spiritual practices.
Please see more related links :-
1. Ten Commandments for Sri Ramakrishna Devotees by Revered Swami Ranganathanandaji Maharaj
2. The five commandments of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna for Householders